I admit, "it looks weird" isn't necessarily a good reason not to use
"SPACE-SPACE".  It does prevent the "1-1-1-3" problem but I suspect
that it may be common for part numbers to be printed on booklets
without the spaces (perhaps this would explain why so many people seem
to dislike the spaces).

If it seems like a majority prints part numbers without the spaces, we
probably should write them without the spaces and when a release has
parts 1-1-1-3 we can enter the part numbers as they are printed.

-cooperaa