On Jan 14, 2010, at 8:33, lorenz pressler wrote:
> Rupert Welch wrote:
>>
>> In this case, CRAS is quite clear and unambiguous - "single artist or
>> performer".  If people choose to add an interpretation that is not
>> written in the guideline, or go back through the edit history of each
>> guideline to find one they prefer, this makes the voting process
>> untenable and we may as well not have the guidelines.
>>
>> When people ignore CRAS, some opt for the conductor, some for
>> the orchestra, and some for a featured performer. I would think the
>> reason for the unambiguous wording of CRAS is precisely to stop
>> this and bring some uniformity to such cases.

Agreed. I'm not against changing it—this sounds like a sound argument—but until
that time…

(I'm more worried about disregarding these guidelines, like Rupert said, than
changing this particular example.)

> the examples you gave i would have filed under VA since there is no
> indication who the main performer is. and with the change i propose they
> will be under VA in the future. i don't want to introduce some wicked
> guidelines people can follow only with quite some knowledge or that the
> editor itself could decide what performer is the primary one. it is just as
> simple as: when it is big on the cover make it RA. thats the way unskilled
> people would add it to the DB probably anyway.

That's not part of the guideline currently. There's also plenty of precedent
for deviating from the covers (e.g. in how works are listed or which
information—opus numbers, keys, etc., and the order thereof—is included in the
titles).

> also i don't think this is so clear and unambiguous
> [...] where a release features a single performer or group [...]
> !=
> [...] where a release features only one single performer or group [...]

Agreed. But as such, your initial examples included multiple performers. :)

I'm not sure what you're proposing here, aside from a potential RFC to amend
the guideline. If that's where you're headed, here are the steps to make it
happen: http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Request_For_Comment Let us know if you'd
like help.

Cheers,
Andrew / andrewski