On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Frederic Da Vitoria
<davito...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/11/20 Nikki <aei...@gmail.com>
>
> Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
>>
>> > Either we decide to keep those ARs at Track level and have them
>> > automatically replicated to works (clumsy IMO) or we get rid of those
>> ARs at
>> > Track level and decide that they should be used only at Work or
>> Recording
>> > level. In the first case, the section still applies because setting the
>> ARs
>> > to the Tracks will be the only way to be able to correctly mirror them
>> > the Works or Recordings, in the second case, those ARs simply won't be
>> > relevant to the section any more.
>>
>> What we currently know as tracks will become recordings and what NGS
>> calls a track doesn't have relationships.
>>
>> Most of the relationships only exist on recordings or works, not both.
>> The upgrade script moves them to the right level (and any tracks with
>> relationships which become work relationships will automatically have a
>> work created and linked to the recording)
>>
>> For example, if you currently have a track called "Some Track" with a
>> composed by relationship for "Artist A" and a performed by relationship
>> for "Artist B", in NGS there will be a recording called "Some Track"
>> which has a performed by relationship for "Artist B", and that recording
>> will be linked to a work called "Some Track" which has a composed by
>> relationship for "Artist A".
>>
>> I think the section is still relevant. It's there because people often
>> think adding a relationship to the release is a shortcut for saying "all
>> tracks" which will still happen in NGS. All that really changes is which
>> entities are involved, at the moment it's tracks, in NGS it will be
>> recordings and works.
>>

> No ARs would go to Tracks anymore! I can understand why. Then Recording is
> indeed a bad term. Users will be tempted to merge re-masters because they
> will be the same recording (in the common sense.) But this is a separate
> discussion.
>
> Then Alex Mauer's suggestion seems good.
>

>   > One question remains: which ARs will still be at Track level? It
>> depends
>>  > partially on where we split recordings: would a remaster be a different
>>  > recording? My first reaction is to answer no, or the name Recording
>> would be
>>  > a bad name. Then some engineering ARs would still apply to Tracks and
>> thus
>>  > would fit in this section.
>>
>> I would expect a remaster to be a different recording if you can show
>> that it's different (i.e. it has a different ISRC or different
>> relationships), but I wouldn't be surprised if people merge recordings
>> when it's not clear if they're actually different.
>>
>> As for whether it's a bad name, the R is ISRC stands for recording too...
>>

> Someone else making the same mistake before us is not really an excuse :-)
> I'd even say it makes things worse: we knew it was wrong but we still did
> [...]
levels;  both were initiall conceived as separate levels between the
"recording" and "track" level,  but in the interest of a simpler schema for
the user to understand, all those layers got compressed into what is
essentially one "superlayer" of detail.

Brian