>> is the correct abbreviation for “because” :D
>
> Heh.  Why would there be any discussion any more than there is over
> whether “it’s” or “it‘s” is correct?  Only one of those is an apostrophe.

If there will be such an issue, I expect it more often to be about
"'n'" like in "rock 'n' roll", which in my experience quite often is
written as "rock ‘n’ roll". At least it didn't make me much time to
find a few examples of releases that writes like that on the cover:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/ab6c8085-16ac-4849-8fc3-94f35f98bccd.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/81182837-83ef-4e0a-b84a-3aa0515d833c.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/03625ca3-6cff-4c26-aca9-8791308cc104.html

(My opinion would be to silently correct that to "’n’" here except in
very special cases, just as we "correct" capitalization.)