Hello,

I heard about this RFC (request for "comments?") through the chatlogger.
http://chatlogs.musicbrainz.org/musicbrainz/2010/2010-11/2010-11-28.html#T00-33-10-62241

To start with, I would like to say that, even if Hepburn was created with
the english readers in mind, I would agree any romanisation convention.
Whether it is Hepburn or something more systematic or "official" like ISO
3602 Strict.

I would agree any of the romanisation but
I don't agree with the choice of adding english title case to romanisation
that will be eventually chosen.
We should not insert rules coming from foreign language (english
capitalisation) into rominased japanese.

We are making a ROMANISATION guideline, not a englicisation nor a
translation guideline.

Japanese doesn't have the concept of capitalisation. (see
http://www2.jasrac.or.jp romanisation are full-caps, they could be
all-lower-caps, capitalisation would not bring any more sense).

We could use all-lower case or choose, at the farther extent, the sentence
style with proper nouns capped (ex : Edo, koto, Kyōto, mune, Nihonkai,
hatukoi, Ōsaka, etc.). This is just how far we could go in inserting alien
typographic concepts IMO.

I've made a small discuss in the IRC asking for info. And the reasons I've
had supporting the use of foreign caps into romanisation were (chatlogger
out of order) :

R1. There are no other rules.
R2. The majority is using it.

I am personally not convinced by either of those.

R1. Then why introducing alien elements?
R2. The majority (over the internet) is not representative of the world's
diversity (internet is english biased) and more generally speaking, majority
is not a logical reason.

As for the examples given, I think something like jasrac is more important
to follow than something like pirated mp3 websites, USA's vgmdb.net or
cdjapan, which is jpn neowing's english site for instance in the matter of
romanisation (romanisation is help people reading stuff in their alphabet,
transcription that shouldn't add alien grammatical typographic rules or
habits).

Tristan (jesus2099).

--
 PRINCE TRISTAN … (psn:)patate12 … (latin:)TRISTANVS
  http://miaou.ions.fr