>> Specifically for releases like a CD jewel box inside a slipcase, we'll
>> have to pick one.  Simon obviously thinks the jewel box should take
>> precedence over slipcase in that situation. I personally don't have an
>> opinion either way, except that we should consistently apply whichever of
>> those two we pick --- hence I think we need a short sentence (probably in
>> the Style/Release guideline).
>
>I would say “use the smallest/most deeply nested/something packaging
>that contains all mediums included in the release”  So a jewel case
>inside a slipcase would be “jewel case”, but two jewel cases inside a
>slipcase would be “slipcase”

I would be okay with this given examples.  Guideline pages are
most effective with examples (useless without examples, really), so if I
understand right:
-A release that is 1 disc in a jewel case, inside a slipcase, should have
the packaging type "Jewel Case"
-A release that is 2 discs in separate jewel cases, bound together in a
slipcase, should have the packaging type "Slipcase"

(the first example was not defined in your initial message, then was brought
up by Simon but not clearly addressed (in my opinion), hence confusion on my
end.)

Additional thoughts:  I wonder if now is the time to file an RFC for adding
medium-level packaging?  (If so, the 1st example would be void.)  My
preliminary thoughts on this would be to have a "plus" button next to
package type as with labels and artist credits for packaging, but the plus
would be to add "subtypes", rather than equal types.  Somewhere (order could
be an issue here) allow each sub-packaging type to be associated with
mediums.