On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Simon Austin <chi...@auzsoft.net> wrote:

> On 24/06/2011 13:50, Ryan Torchia wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Simon Austin <chi...@auzsoft.net
> > <mailto:chi...@auzsoft.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 21/06/2011 20:54, Ryan Torchia wrote:
> >
> > They're issued to the same market on the same medium
> > usually with the intent that fans will buy the whole series.
> ...to get a higher place in the charts because they all count as one
> single release.

I don't think that's true.  According to the rules outlined here:
http://www.theofficialcharts.com/chart-rules/ -- only one of a disc in a set
like this will count towards the charts.  In the US, the RIAA definitely
only counts one version of a song, so different remixes and live versions
would not be combined.

> > Just to be clear, I'm not really interested in seeing these in
> > different release groups or separated out from the 'standard' issues
> > of a single.  As long as their titles include the series number,
> > they're easily visible among the other issues.  I not sure why there
> > would be objections to having *Some Title, CD1* and *Some Title, CD2*
> > in the list of different issue if that's the actual given, printed name.
>
> Well, the objection is that CD 1 is not part of the title, so shouldn't
> go in the title field.

I think that's debatable.  At least when I look at something like this:
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1530809 -- I'm not sure how we
could say definitively that it's not part of the title.

> But, if it's visibility you want, have you viewed an RG using the
> comment field for this?
> http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/c4dd8d9f-95c4-38e4-a364-50ee5be0c952

Ugh...  Really?

--Torc.