On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Johannes Weißl <jar...@molb.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> it seems agreement that we don't allow iTunes as label, because it is a
> store that *real* labels can use to sell the music of artists (also
> exclusively).
>
> I wonder why we allow Bandcamp as a label then? As far as I know, it
> is even less a label than iTunes, it is just a technical help for
> independent artists or *real* labels to sell their music... much like a
> online shop software that happens to be also hosted by the software
> company.
> There is even a question in the FAQ "Do you offer label accounts?" [1].

As far as I know, we *don't* allow it. (There should be an annotation
saying "This is not a real label" in there if there is not one
already). The problem is, like with iTunes, people will keep adding
it, so it's easier to find out when they do it if we keep the
"Bandcamp label" around. That way we can subscribe to it and downvote
its use! :)
> Similar might be true for CD Baby... they say they "have to put 'CD
> Baby' as 'Parent Label'" [2], but this sounds more like a hack for UPC
> codes sent to SoundScan.
>

> If I understand it correctly, in theory an artist could use *both* CD
> Baby and Bandcamp to sell his music, since he is not signed to one
> of them. In this case, would we list both as label? And what if more
> such stores open, do we add them as label to the release, too?
>

> So, my suggestion is to not allow shops as labels, and just enter
> releases without real label as [no label]. If a release is only
> available on Bandcamp, it should be linked to as "download from".
>
> If the only reason for the Bandcamp label is to list all music released
> on Bandcamp (why?), a search for URLs should be implemented (there is
> already a ticket for that).
>
> If you agree, I will vote "No" on all future "Add label" edits of this
> kind...
>

> [1] http://bandcamp.com/faq#label
> [2] http://cdbaby.org/stories/01/03/21/5356284.html
>

> Johannes