Hi, folks:

One comment that's appeared repeatedly in the discussion of Relationship
Inheritance is that whether a directly attached Relationship could
"override" the "same" Relationship inherited from elsewhere.  I have a
problem defining the terms "override" and "same" in the context of
Relationships.

MusicBrainz allows an editor to attach a second Relationship to an entity as
long as it differs in some detail from the first.

There can be two Composer Relationships from two Artists to the same Work
entity.  If both relationships are Composer Relationships, are they the
"same"? Should one "override" the other? The basic relationships editor
doesn't seem to think so.

There can can be two Composer Relationships from the same artist to same
Work entity, if one has a date and the other doesn't. Are these
Relationships the "same"? Should one "override" the other? The basic
relationships editor doesn't seem to think so.

Maybe an example will help. This is a single Work entity, so there is no
issue of inheritance.
Requiem in D minor, K. 626 (Süßmayr completion): I. Introitus: "Requiem
aeternam"
http://musicbrainz.org/work/e27bda6e-531e-36d3-9cd7-b8ebc18e8c53

This Work has a Composer Relationship to Mozart, and a "Additional" Composer
Relationship to Süßmayr. Are those the "same"? Should one have "overridden"
the other? I think not.

There are actually two Composer Relationships to Mozart. One has no dates,
one has a date of "1791". Are those the "same"? Should one have "overridden"
the other?  In this case, I think yes.  When the editor came to enter the
second relationship, the software should have guided them to modify the
first relationship instead.

But suppose you want to express the meaning, Artist Composed this Work from
1788-1789, and also for a period in 1791?  Should there be two Composer
Relationships to the same Work entity, differing only in dates?

The current Advanced Relationship scheme in MusicBrainz has limitations.
There are things it would be nice to express that it can't right now.  It
might be nice to add a way to "override" an inherited copy of the "same"
Relationship. I think it's possible to invent improvements to the current
system. But it won't be easy to define the improvement, and say precisely
what the details should be.

No Reply Necessary (NRN), I just want to put that thought into our
consciousness.