From: musicbrainz-style-boun...@lists.musicbrainz.org
[mailto:musicbrainz-style-boun...@lists.musicbrainz.org] On Behalf Of Lukáš
Lalinský
Sent: 12 December 2011 15:58
To: MusicBrainz style discussion
Subject: [mb-style] Genre support

Hi,

This discussion is a little off-topic here, but I can't think of a better group
of active MB users to discuss a feature like this.

I'd like MB to have some support for genres. This was apparently discussed at
the last MB summit, but I don't know details about that.

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/MusicBrainz_Summit/11/Session_Notes#Genres

I've created a ticket that seems to be a superset of the genre features
discussed at the summit:

http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-3738

The idea for now is just to define the genre lists and relations between them.
It does not deal with the problem of assigning entities like artists to genres
(I think that SoundUnwound has a nice solution to this though). My idea is to
add the concept of genres to MusicBrainz, make it editable by users, linkable
to other genres and URLs. That way we can define genre trees. Then I'd like for
each genre to have a list of tags that the genre can appear as. This can be
used for autocompleting genres when adding tags, and whitelisting tags in
applications like Picard (it can be used to whitelist tags also from other
sources, like Last.fm).

Does any of this make sense? Do you think it's a good idea?

Lukas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on
it and notify the sender immediately.