From: "Frederic Da Vitoria" <davito...@gmail.com>
To: "MusicBrainz Style Discussion" <musicbrainz-style@lists.musicbrainz.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [mb-style] RFC-347: CSG update for NGS

2012/1/19, Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbr...@gmail.com>:
> pabouk <pab...@centrum.cz> writes:
>>> The recording artist should be similar to the disambiguation comment.
>>> Enter the main orchestra or other artist, plus any featured artists...
>>
>> This is a fundamental change too.
>> - Any proposals how will we handle the resulting inconsistency of the MB
>> database? Maybe we should somehow mark all recordings before the CSG
>> change?
>> - This change requires modification of the MB web UI as currently when
>> recordings are created automatically with release tracks they both have
>> the
>> same artists so maybe we could also leave this for the future and somehow
>> implement two artist fields in the MB web UI on the track/recording
>> level.
>
> Hi,
>
> Maybe we need to ask a more fundamental question here. What's the point
> in a recording artist? Or indeed, what attributes does a recording have
> (in real life)?
>
> I can come up with the following:
>
>    A recording was made on a certain day (or multiple days) by some
>    people. It probably performs something (a work). It has a
>    more-or-less well defined length.
>
> A recording object in MusicBrainz has a length, artist and name
> and it can be related to performers and/or works.
>
> There's an obvious mapping between lengths, so that's
> easy(ish). The name and artist fields don't really make much sense to
> me, so I'm pretty ambivalent about what goes in them. The relationships
> are sort of well-defined already, so that's fine.
>
> As such, I'm happy with what Hawke is suggesting for recording artists,
> but I'm also happy to leave them as the composer. Either way, it'll be a
> rubbish way to search for a recording and won't be particularly
> informative.
>
> But Pabouk's point is an important one: Hawke's proposal does imply that
> we should change every single classical recording currently on
> MusicBrainz to follow it. Since I think the data's junk anyway, I think
> this would be a massive waste of time.
>
> As such, I disagree with this part of the proposal (the rest looks good
> to me!). Does anyone have a counterargument? (It probably needs to
> contain a justification for the usefulness of a recording's artist
> field).

I agree that the Recording Artist is meaningless, so this should be
mainly a question of finding which option brings the best benefits to
the end user. Hawke's argument seems right to me: in the performance
list, having the (main) performer(s) is much more useful than the
composer. I agree this means that the current recording Artists would
be wrong, but if this only concerns the performance list, consistency
is not really important. We should change it as much as possible, yes,
but the only thing which will happen before we reach this point is
that those recordings which are not corrected will continue to display
the uninformative composer name.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org

-----
Nessun virus nel messaggio.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 10.0.1416 / Database dei virus: 2109/4752 -  Data di rilascio:
18/01/2012