On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 17:06 +0100, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
> 2012/2/7, symphonick <symphon...@gmail.com>:
> > But it would be better if we could get the composer in the search results
> > from the linked work. Then we could do away with this enterily.
>
> Of course, this would be an improvement from our classical music
> editor point of view. But would other kinds of music benefit from
> having the composer in the results? Maybe as a persistent user option.

For a lot of instrumental/classically styled soundtracks for movies,
games, etc., the composer is similarly considered “more important” than
the performers, and being able to search and view the composer easily
would be nice.

Of course, for many of these releases the composer is involved with the
performance in some way—or the performers are otherwise unknown. As a
result, similar to the previous classical music guidelines, most of
these soundtrack releases already have the composer in the
track/recording artist fields; for a large number of them, we simply
don't have any better information to replace the composer with.

For example,
http://musicbrainz.org/release/71ad800f-43a3-3f30-8e66-3f35c37cef85
(almost) all music composed by John Williams, and performed by the
London Symphony Orchestra—conducted by John Williams.

(I have a friend with the original vinyl version of this release with
better credits—including all the orchestra members and positions—I
should go and borrow it…)

http://musicbrainz.org/release/775fead4-9e4b-40d7-a5de-10767d5e13c1
All music composed by Hamauzu Masashi. Some of the tracks are performed
by credited orchestras or other performers, others have no credited
performers and are presumably done on synthesizers by the composer
himself.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.wal...@kepstin.ca>