I think picking the right join phrases is the key to preventing confusion
here.  The potential trouble spots I see are "partial medley of" and "cover
medley of," because the attributes would seem to apply to the entire medley,
though really they only apply to parts of it.

If I were completely new to MusicBrainz and came across "partial medley of"
on a recording page, I might interpret it as "this medley includes some of
the works listed below."  Which is not the most helpful way for a database
to behave :-)  And if I came across "cover medley of," I might think it
meant "this medley is a cover of another medley."  Which is an interesting
idea, but not what's meant.

So here's my take on how the medley relationship is modified by the
currently existing recording attributes and how to make sure that comes
across in the way these edits are displayed.

EDIT: is a {*partial*} {live} {instrumental} {cover} {performance|*medley*}
of
MEANING: This medley includes only parts of the works listed below.
RESULTS: (on release and recording pages) medley including parts of:, (on
work pages) partially included in medleys:

E: is a {partial} {*live*} {instrumental} {cover} {performance|*medley*} of
M: This medley was performed live in front of an audience.
R: live medley of:, included in live medleys:

E: is a {partial} {live} {*instrumental*} {cover} {performance|*medley*} of
M: In this medley the works listed below are only performed on instruments,
not sung.
R: instrumental medley of:, included in instrumental medleys

E: is a {partial} {live} {instrumental} {*cover*} {performance|*medley*} of
M: The performer of this medley is not the original performer of the works
listed below.
R: medley covering:, covered in medleys:

E: is a {*partial*} {*live*} {*instrumental*} {*cover*}
{performance|*medley*} of
M: All of the above.
R: live instrumental medley covering parts of:, partially covered in live
instrumental medleys

I know the current wording for medleys on work pages is "is referred to in,"
but it seems to me that performing a work (or even part of work) goes beyond
just "referring" to it.  So as long as we're making changes, why not say "is
included in" instead?

And finally, how about a simpler description of what a medley is on the wiki
page?  Here's my attempt:
This indicates that a recording includes multiple works performed as a
single continuous piece.

Patrick