LordSputnik wrote

> lixobix wrote
>> The question is, how will migration occur? Currently, we have:
>>
>> A Song
>> A Song [disambiguation: 2009 remaster]
>>
>> In order to not destroy the data, the disambiguation comment would have
>> to be moved to a release level relationship, then eventually used to
>> create new 'master' entities for each track on the track list. How easy
>> would that be?
> Well, you'd do one of two things:
>
> a) If all the songs on the release were remastered in 2009, disambiguate
> the release with (2009 remaster) and use the release level remaster
> relationship to link it to the original release. Then merge all the
> remaster recordings into the original recordings.
>
> b) If the release has a mixture of masters, add each known mastering
> process to the annotation. Eg. "Tracks 1-4 use 1993 masters, Tracks 4-8
> use 2009 masters". Then merge the remastered recordings into the
> originals.
>
> Then when master entities are introduced, we use the annotation/release
> level relationships to store that information properly.

So this would have to be done manually? That's a lot of work... Is there no
way this could be automated? I don't know the pragmatics, but you could
easily identify remastered recordings and merge them, as the associated
releases would match, and the duration would be similar.

LordSputnik wrote

> lixobix wrote
>> This is why I wanted to drop the reference to audio tracks...
>>
>> "A recording is a captured series of sounds, or the product of mixing
>> and/or editing of one or more
>> other recordings. Mastering does not create a new recording."
> It's just been explained in a few sentences. I think the definition is
> perfectly clear. Recordings and releases are stored in MusicBrainz, as
> everybody knows. Release tracks are clearly tracks on releases. Audio
> tracks are explained in the sentence below, and can be googled if that's
> not enough. Your definition, while not as technical, doesn't make enough
> of a distinction between plain recordings in the general sense of the
> word, and MB Recordings.

Well, I don't think there is a distinction :-) I'm still unclear as to what
'plain recordings' are and why they would be added. Are you talking about
users adding each individual multi-track audio recordings?

LordSputnik wrote

> lixobix wrote
>> [Side note 1: Just realised that "but have not been mastered" in the
>> current definition means that anything that has been mastered must not be
>> a recording.]
> That's exactly what we want it to mean. Anything that has been mastered is
> a track, and recordings come before tracks. Tracks use recordings, but
> that doesn't mean that a track, which has been mastered, can't use a
> recording, which hasn't been mastered.

So an edit/mix made from a mastered track is not a recording? That would
mean artists like Girl Talk have no recordings: "I'll just hear something on
the radio or at a party and go ahead and sample it off a CD or record or
download it." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Ripper