LordSputnik wrote

> lixobix wrote
>> The circularity is inevitable, as we are trying to define as recordings
>> things as mixes of other recordings. My point is that audio tracks cannot
>> solve this, and do not add anything as far as I see.
> Apart from the fact that they're pretty much universally used on almost
> every modern released track? Audio tracks exist, they are real, they are
> used to create what we define as recordings. There's no disputing this.
>
> It's the correct term. You're just applying *one definition* of recording
> and saying that we should use it for *all definitions* of recording, which
> would result in nonsense guidelines.
>
> The recording is a container for audio tracks. Even if it contains just
> one audio track, that doesn't make it an audio track. A glove is not a
> hand.

"A recording is a container for audio tracks."

You would then have to define audio track without using the word recording.
An audio track cannot be an existing recording, otherwise an audio track
could be a container for an existing audio track, in which case there is no
distinction between the container and the contained, therefore recording and
audio track would be synonymous.

How would we define audio track without using the word recording?

I appreciate that audio track is an accepted term in pro audio, but on
analysis it does not mean anything different to recording, so I see no
reason to adopt it.

LordSputnik wrote

> lixobix wrote
>> "Unmastered", "prior to mastering" and "mastering is not involved" would
>> exclude mastered release tracks. If an audio track can be a mastered
>> release
>> track, then a recording can be a mastered release track.
> How about:
>
> "A recording cannot be the direct product of mastering."

In that case, conversely: "A recording can be the indirect product of
mastering." How would we distinguish between direct and indirect products of
mastering?