LordSputnik wrote
> There's no easy way of making a rule for it - you just have to consider
> whether the bit in brackets belongs with the title or not.

I disagree, at least for many common cases, it would be easy to make a rule.
You proposal explicitly does make rules for some common cases:

"If the ETI is only for the purposes of disambiguation, then this should be
moved to the *disambiguation* comment (typical examples include *"live",
"original", "demo", "alternate take", "instrumental"*). By contrast, if the
ETI seems to be *part of the name of the recording*, leave it in parentheses
in the recording title (typical examples include *a mix name*)."

So why not just decide which types go where?