I agree this can be difficult, and especially when an artist has apparently
sanctioned a release but can't say so because of their contract with the
record company. What worries me more than the label we apply to the release
is the way we normalise bootlegs or select a group label among official
only entities. It seems to me we confuse what's official with what carries
the approval of the artist.
But specifically, I don't have an answer for you. The problem, arguably, is
the inclusion of 'and/or' in the definitions. Perhaps if it was 'either the
artist or the record company' in both definitions then you'd know that if
either had sanctioned it, it was official?