2014/1/17 Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren <reosare...@gmail.com>

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Maurits <mfmeulenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree with this on principle, but wouldn't the chamber orchestra
>> sub-types become a huge list over time? With all the possible trio's,
>> quartets, quintets and whatnot for various possible instruments.
>> Perhaps constrict it to the number?
>

> My idea was to just separate the most common ones (string quartet seems
> like the obvious choice, I'd say piano trio is probably the second most
> common, but that one could be kept as part of the "chamber ensemble" option
> if people are not too sure).
>
> I'd say just by number doesn't help much - if we keep both saxophone and
> string quartets under the same type, we might as well just keep chamber
> ensemble.
>
> Frederic: I'd argue the string quartets that aren't 2 violin, viola,
> cello are uncommon enough that we can live with that.

Yeah, I think other combinations are rarely a fixed group.
And piano trio I assume is usually pi + vl + vlc, but I believe it could be
piano + any other 2 instruments. Also remember there's a jazz piano trio
too; I don't think you can expect just one particular group of instruments
under any one of these artist types.

Another issue is that "chamber ensemble" implies chamber music, which
obviously doesn't suit jazz ensembles. (Note that you have to define the
difference between a chamber ensemble and a chamber orchestra!)

One possibility:

*Orchestra
**Chamber orchestra
**Symphony orchestra
**String orchestra
**Wind orchestra

*Brass ensemble
**Brass quintet

*String ensemble
**String trio
**String quartet
**String quintet

*Mixed ensemble
**Chamber ensemble
**Wind ensemble
**Piano trio

One could also have the orchestras as sub-types of the general ensemble
types.
Do we want genre-based ensembles eventually, e.g. baroque ensemble?
Unfortunately, it means more documentation...

/symphonick