Hello mb-style,

Right now watermarked images are a grey area. They're technically
allowed, in that there are no guidelines saying they aren't, but in
practice they get removed or voted down for being watermarked. Sometimes
though, the best (or only image) we can find of some part of a release
is watermarked and in those cases it would be nice to be able to store
them somehow.

For some people, including me, it really doesn't feel right to just
upload watermarked images. I can't really explain why, but I would feel
much better about it if there were a way of detecting that an image is
watermarked. Therefore I'm proposing that we add a cover art type
"watermark" which should be used when an image also contains a
watermark, so that we can upload them, but anyone not wanting to use
watermarked images can use the data to filter them out.

How this would affect things:
- In cases where the best image we can find is not watermarked, this
would change nothing. There is no reason to keep a watermarked image
which is also poorer quality.
- In cases where the only image we can find is watermarked, this would
let us upload that image instead of having nothing.
- In cases where we have a poorer quality image without a watermark and
a better quality image with a watermark, which one is best depends on
what you want to use it for, so my recommendation would be to upload
both images, so that people can use whichever image best suits their
purposes.

This RFC should expire on the 8th.
Ticket: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-297

Nikki