tommycrock wrote
> While I was looking at compilation, I thought there were some problems
> with
> the primary type section in http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Release_Group/Type.
> I thought the guidance on albums wasn't great and got a bit mixed up about
> defining primary or secondary types, but it turns out defining an album is
> tricky!
> I also thought the singles section could be simplified by not discussing
> the different meaning of singles in different markets as I thought the
> 'definition' could be captured as a whole (but I might be wrong as I don't
> know the Japanese market - please check). If I'm right then it means the
> guidance can apply outside the US, UK and Japan.
> I'm not sure if the explanation of B-side and A-side are necessary here
> but
> I've left them in for the moment.
>
> You can see my proposed changes here:
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/index.php?title=User:Tommycrock/proposal/Release_Group/Primary_Type&diff=65813&oldid=65804
>
> All comments welcome :)

First, I'd state: "The primary type refers to the form of the release, in
the sense of the length, number, and prominence of tracks. The stated times
and track numbers below may vary and overlap significantly in reality.
Ultimately, the intention of the artist or label determines the primary
release type."

(Secondary types refer conversely to the content of the release.)

I'd also swap the position of EP and Single.

Albums: I'd change the description to give an average of 12 tracks, 45 mins.
These are more typical values for albums. I'd also note that most releases
are albums, and if in doubt to choose album.

Single: The reference to additional tracks in the first line is not
particularly helpful. I'd say "A single typically has one main song and
possibly around one or two additional tracks, although some singles contain
more. The distinguishing feature of a single is the prominence of the main
track, which is usually the first track, and from which the release title is
taken." Also, before "The term "B-Side"..." I would add: "The other tracks
may be referred to as "B-Sides", which could be recordings of new works, or
alternative recordings such as studio, live, remixed, or edited recordings
of works of which other recordings have been released previously."

EP: I would start by saying an EP has an average of 5 tracks @ 20 mins.