Hello,

On 04/15/2014 09:59 AM, Staffan Vilcans wrote:

> th1rtyf0ur skrev:
>> The issue here is that I find it difficult to mark something as "official"
>> that has literally only one (or very few) hand-made copy, given directly
>> to another band member, recording engineer, close friend, etc., & not
>> necessarily with any intention of the release ever being heard by anyone
>> else.
>
> Then it would be no different than the CD-R compilation I burned to listen
> to in the car.
>
> Over at http://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_Disc_IDs it says "Please do
> not add DiscIDs from homeburnt CDs." and I would say home-burnt CD-Rs
> should not be in the database at all.
>
>> In most cases the demos listed under SP were for internal
>> (band/recording staff) use only, and only surfaced after copies were lost,
>> stolen, or otherwise tracked down by persistent fans.
>
> It sounds like your definition of a demo is very different from mine. It
> sound like you're talking about pre-production test runs and such. To me a
> demo is a release be a band, usually in EP length, that contains some demo
> tracks. They may be a part of an upcoming album or not. The demo can be
> given away (perhaps at the door at a gig) or sold.

Wasn't a demo typically used by bands to try to get a record deal?  So
they would make several (or more) copies of such a demo, to give to
agents and send to record labels and maybe music press.  So as a
"release" it is not intended for the general public, but it is more
widely distributed than just friends and family.

The content of a demo is only EP length because its purpose is to show
off a few of the bands' best tracks, preferably each track showcasing a
different aspect of the band, without overwhelming the listener with too
much content.

-- Kuno.