EAW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've hacked together an output plugin that streams MP3 out to a
> shoutcast server.  To do so, I basically took the existing shout plugin
> and removed the Ogg/Vorbis specific bits, and replaced them with libmp3lame
> bits.

Ah, cool.  Since there was another guy on #mpd asking about
pass-through, I got confused and thought your patch implements
pass-through[1].

As this is another isolated audio output, this is definitely easier to
accept into mpd.  Keep in mind that due to the dubious legal status
of LAME, most distributions will not ship with this enabled.

> The patch included can be applied to 0.13.2.  I know the version in Git
> is a bit different, but at this time, the Git source's metadata
> functionality isn't working, and since I'm new to MPD, I've held off on
> working on that.

I still hope to fix that tonight, but there are still some little bugs
here and there that I'm also fixing :x

> Unfortunately, I was unable to figure out how to get the autotools to
> look for the lame libs for me, so I did an end-around in the
> configure.ac file.  Sorry.  :/

Somebody should be able to take care of autotools eventually...

> I'm sure there are better ways to do this, and I welcome your comments,
> input, or suggestions.

After a quick eyeballing, it looks like it shares a lot of common
code with the original shout plugin.  Separating the common
code into a separate file so both shout plugins can use would
be a good idea.

There's also a bunch of noop whitespace changes in there that shouldn't
be in the diff, too.

[1] Pass-through would be much more difficult to accept into mpd
    since it requires bypassing a lot of the core functionality
    in mpd.  Maybe it'll be possible to drive something using the
    listener protocol in the future...

--
Eric Wong