On 2008/11/24 01:58, Avuton Olrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is the first in a series of patches I hope to do to update from
> patches in from our bug tracker. I hope as well to get comments, and
> the community gives these concepts and patches the big ACK or NACK. I
> will try to keep these patches up to date until they're either
> accepted or given the NACK, at which time I'll pop it off my guilt and
> close the bug. Most of these patches I have neutral feelings about
> acceptance. I may attempt to provide new better versions with
> criticism though, please keep in mind that I am not a developer.

On this particular patch: it looks like a useful extension, but I
havn't had enough time yet to give it an in-depth review.

In general, I think it is a very good idea to collect patches in a git
repository - the Linux kernel people have a "linux-staging" and a
"linux-next" tree, a similar concept.  Currently, our "master"
repository is frozen, due to beta testing.  After 0.14 is released, we
will be able to continue quickly if we can simply pick patches from
your repository - good work again, Avuton.

Two things should be optimized:

1.) give credit to contributors.  The patch's author should reflect
    the name of whoever has written it in the first place, even if we
    changed some lines for proper merging into the current code base.

2.) if possible, don't "merge" (pull) from master, "rebase" instead
    (pull --rebase).  This results in some more maintenance work
    because you have to merge conflicts, but it ensures that the new
    patches always match the current "master" code base.