On 2009/04/14 15:38, Sébastien Houzé <sebastien.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, but I run many mpd processes, this implies running many mpdscribble
> too... is a playlog_file option in mpd.conf better ?
> Think about some analogy with Apache accesslog and errorlog. Logging can be
> optionnal this way, and why not loggin format configurable (data, IP, song)
> like in Apache.

Hmm, I'm not comfortable with that idea, because this is a very
specific feature request which can be solved with a client.  Might be
more difficult for you because you're running multiple MPD instances,
but you can use the same init script for starting one mpdscribble per
MPD instance.

Any other opinions on the mailing list?

> I don't have benchmarked at the moment. Basically I was thinking that sqlite
> had poor performance (big file lock) if many mpd processes were running
> concurrent SELECT against it. It seems not, according to sqlite
> website.

sqlite is quite fast, in some use cases even faster than traditional
database servers.  Even if it's slower for us, I don't think it's too
important.  MPD isn't pushing a lot of pressure on the database.
sqlite is great because it doesn't require any special setup,
PostgreSQL or MySQL would be too much work for most MPD users.

> I even found some interesting feature :
> http://www.sqlite.org/sharedcache.html
> What do you think of using sqlite3_enable_shared_cache() in mpd ?
> This doesn't make multiple mpd processes perform better, but a single one
> yes.

No, not at all, because MPD doesn't open the sticker database more
than once at a time.

> > We could make the sticker storage pluggable, so you can write a libgda
> > backend.  I'm quite happy with native sqlite support right now, and I
> > had initially considered using BerkeleyDB instead of sqlite.
> >
> > When sticker storage is pluggable,
>

> You think about storage plugins like, e.g. : flat file, sqlite, bdb, xml ?
> If so, I think some dsn syntax sould be used in mpd.conf.
>
> For example
> sticker_file "/somepath/somesqlitedb.db"
> should be instead
> sticker "sqlite:///somepath/somesqlitedb.db"

More like:

 sticker {
    plugin "gda"
    uri "sqlite:///....."