>> I got it working with alsa by specifying plughw:0 instead of hw:0.
>
> "plughw" enables "half" of dmix - i.e. the part of libasound which
> does the resampling and sample format conversion.  That means that
> ALSA will automatically convert 24->16 if the hardware isn't 24 bit
> capable.

I do hear glitches with "plughw:0" that I don't hear when using OSS.
It sounds like distortion during the music's peaks.  I guess this is
due to libasound?

> Another option could be that your device doesn't support the 24-in-32
> format, but only the packed 24 bit format.  That's not supported by
> MPD (yet).  There are so many different sample formats and packing
> standards...

I checked with the manufacturer on this and they don't think a USB DAC
can support 24-in-32 because the USB driver would chop off anything
above 24.  Do you think this explains why "hw:0" doesn't work?  The
DAC supports up to 24/96.

> I believe that the ALSA-OSS emulation enables dmix, and therefore also
> plughw.

I definitely hear glitches from plughw and none when OSS is defined.

- Grant