>> After some discussion and GPL study it seems it is not breaking any
>> license it is just linked to a closed source system library.
[...]
> You MUST NOT distribute MPD linked with proprietary code.  The GPL
> does not allow that.

I do not know much about NMT, but from the looks of it, Ger might indeed
have the right to port MPD to NMT and link against NMT's own closed
libraries as long as these are "system libraries".

Of course he still needs to distribute the source code of his MPD port
and things like that, but at least, I don't think the GPL make it
fundamentally illegal to distribute an NMT port of MPD.

In any case, there's not much anybody can do either way: the license has
already been decided a long time ago and as you say, there are too many
contributors to be able to change the license.  So Ger needs to consult
a lawyer rather than this mailing-list ;-)

        Stefan