On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 14:09, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 02:51, Max Kellermann wrote:
>> On 2009/08/07 08:40, Barry Song wrote:
>>> If the system doesn't use GLib, for example uclibc or some other libc,
>>> it can't use the g_thread. Maybe posix thread is a better choice?
>>
>> Why does the "system" care about a userspace library?  gthread is just a
>> portability wrapper around pthread.
>
> the problem with glib is that it requires unicode regardless of the
> subset of glib features you want to use.  on embedded systems, that is
> often disabled.

the thread seemed to indicate that gthread was the only real usage of
glib in mpd.  looking at the source indicates that all of mpd is
highly based on glib.  guess we'll look into using eglib.

however, there is still one use of fork() in the mpd source code in
the daemonize_detach() function.  really this function should get
punted and daemonize() should simply call the C library's daemon(0,1).
 the daemon() function has existed since BSD 4.4, so for all realistic
*nix targets, this function should be fine.
-mike