I'm the one who set the scrolling keys.  I agree that they are not ideal,
but I was having a lot of trouble finding any pairs available with a
mnemonic.  (I didn't want one to use control and the other use shift.)  I
would have preferred to set them the same as Vim (ctrl-d/u) but one was
already taken in the defaults: ctrl-u means music database update.  My own
keys are remapped to be as Vimlike as possible; for example N is rfind-next
for me, as you suggest.  Personally, I would be in favor of rearranging some
of the defaults, but I assumed they'd been around long enough that we
wouldn't want to change them.

It's worth noting, when thinking about changing default keys, that due to
the way the settings are stored, other users may not notice the change for a
while, then get caught off guard.  For example, if you have added an extra
key for a command, ncmpc saves all of the keys for that command to the
file.  The default is now hard-coded in the keys file.  The user will not
notice a change until they for one reason or another start fresh.

One possibility I'd thought of before would be to start distributing sample
keys files with ncmpc.  If we remap keys to parallel Vim as closely as
possible, then we could include a keys.classic file.  If we keep the old
keys for compatibility, we could include keys.vimlike.

Jeffrey