N of it is stated by himself in one of the lectures delivered at
Cambridge, as follows: "I believe that all these correspondences between
the different aspects of animal life are the manifestations of mind
acting consciously with intention towards one object from beginning to
end. This view is in accordance with the working of our minds; it is an
instinctive recognition of a mental power with which our own is akin,
manifesting itself in nature. For this reason, more than any other,
perhaps, do I hold that this world of ours was not the result of the
action of unconscious organic forces, but the work of an intelligent,
conscious power." Whatever might have been the process by which the
orderly creation was produced (into which he did not inquire), it was
the result of a definite plan and the work of design. The immutability
of species, _as he defined species_, was the logical consequence of this
theory, and that, it seems to me, is the substantial difference between
him and Darwin. But Agassiz was no sectarian, and held no other creed
than a belief in the Creator. In the fibre of the man was the
consciousness of the immanent deity

<<inline: valorizing.jpg>>