Hmm... I've got all three of those packages (libavcodec-dev, libavutil-dev,
libavformat-dev) installed, but they don't seem to do it.
I installed build dependencies of the mpd-trunk PPA mpd package with $( sudo
aptitude build-dep mpd=0.15.9+git20100502.d88c3c8-0ubuntu1~ripps1 )   and
tried this again, with the same results: without the libmp4ff packages
installed, MPD's configure script won't enable MP4 support.  I'm installing
the libmp4ff packages from the .debs from the links I mentioned.
I've tried this with both the release-0.15.9 tag and current master HEAD.
 I'm just doing a vanilla configure, ie $(git checkout master; git clean
-dfx; ./autogen.sh).  Is there an option I need to pass to tell it to get
mp4 stuff from ffmpeg?
-Ted