On 07/01/2010 10:39 AM, Max Kellermann wrote:
> On 2010/07/01 10:10, kg<kg2007...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I need these informations because I log all events of the player and
>> I would like to be able to differantiate a event coming from the
>> keyboard (shortcut) and from a graphical client.
>>
> MPD doesn't know that either.

I use some passwords to differantiate clients:
password                        "son...@read,add,control,admin"
password                        "keybo...@read,add,control,admin"

> But MPD already writes a log file.  Why have another log file,
> containing the same information?

When I see the log file, it just contains some errors. I can't see what
song is played, stopped ...
>> I haven't seen again the code, but I think it's trivial to add the
>> "origin" of an event.
>>
> But it would bloat the protocol, adding unnecessary complexity.
> Convince me that your idea is really useful; what is the purpose of
> your "logging" application?

Concerning the protocol, the complexity added is small.
Instead of respond "player" to an idle command, we will respond for example
player origin_cmd origin_client
where
     origin_cmd could be "playid 63" or "next"
     origin_client could be "sonata" or "keyboard" considering my conf file.
Then, a status client (task bar for example) is trivial, it can easily
update its status by running idle command and print the result.

However, I think the complexity added is in the code. Because the player
and the command parser are really independents.

The purpose of my application is not very useful for you, because, I
doesn't directly concern MPD. So, just some words about it.
I'm making a daemon such as IMMS (http://imms.luminal.org/). For several
reasons, I've begun from scratch a new daemon. Like IMMS, I would like
an player independent program, even if it will be possible to use it as
a library.
I use an alpha version since two years ago ... and I can exactly know
what songs I have played/stopped/seeked (70 000 events).
By this file, I will be able to generate a profil of me, to know
dependencies between songs, to know what songs I've never heard, and more.
I would like to have a player that "knows me".

kg.