Hi,

I've been working on a uclinux based music player for some time.   Presently,
the core of this has been a version of mpg123 that I patched to run as a server
and for which I wrote a C-library that could talk to the server over a shared
memory interface.  I then wrote an XML over HTTP interface that can be used for
network clients and an AJAX web UI that works on top of that.  This is all
integrated into a system (application + OS) that can fit into a kernel+ramdisk
image that's less than 5MB.   Right now I only build this for x86 (convenient
because of the cheap fanless mini-ITX boards that are available and because I
can run it on a virtual machine for development), but I'd also like to port it
to some of the cheap ARM based boards that are starting to appear.

I only recently became aware of mpd (as strange as that may seem, I guess I
just
never did the right Google search or talked to the right person), but it seems
clear to me at this point that I should start using mpd as the core of my
project so that I can take advantage of the fairly large base of client
applications that already exist.

I'd like to ask the people on this forum what other embedded mpd based
appliance
projects they know of that already exist that are similar to mine... I want to
make my project available to the open source community, but I'd rather add some
value than just duplicate others' efforts if possible.  The way I see it, the
features that I could add to what already exist in just the mpd software are:
  - Integration into a small footprint bootable linux system
  - XML over HTTP interface into mpd for easy integration with clients that are
XML oriented
  - XML interface also supports basic setup features like adding new samba
mounts, configuring wi-fi, etc.
  - There are a lot of higher level features that I've wanted to add, but never
could because the basic mpd-like
    functionality was taking up too much time.
    Some of these include:
       - Ability of multiple devices to "find" each other through zeroconf/mdns
and present a single cohesive UI for
         all of the devices.
       - Something similar to Sonus's "party mode" feature where multiple
devices are synchronized within a few
         milliseconds of each other so that different devices in different
rooms
can all broadcast the same thing.
       - Ability to assemble a cohesive library of music from multiple sources
(network servers, USB drives, etc.).
         This would also include being able to gracefully deal with sources
joining and leaving the network and
         attempting to avoid displaying duplicate songs that exist on multiple
sources.
       - (lots of other ideas, but this message is getting long!)

I look forward to hearing comments about what's already out there and what I
might want to focus on!

Thanks,
Dave Rensberger