Hi,

It would appear that mpd will abort on files it can't handle, during the
library scan:

I am installing MPD (0.16.3 ) for the first time, on my Mac (10.6.8) using
MacPorts. It is run using the _mpd user
and the relevant folders belong to _mpd:_mpd. On launching, I get the following
in the terminal:

  ajmas$ sudo -u _mpd mpd -v --no-daemon
  config: loading file /opt/local/etc/mpd.conf
  path: path_set_fs_charset: fs charset is: UTF-8
  Failed to load database: Failed to open database file
"/opt/local/var/lib/mpd/database": No such file or directory
  output: No "audio_output" defined in config file
  output: Attempt to detect audio output device
  output: Attempting to detect a osx audio device
  output: Successfully detected a osx audio device
  disabling the last.fm playlist plugin because account is not configured

Looking at the log I see it has gone through a number of files in by library
and then aborted. On a hunch I decided
to remove the symbolic link to my library in the 'music_directory' and point it
to a folder which I know only
contained MP3s. This time on launching I get the same error, but the folder
scan completes and the database is
created.

The hunch was that the next folder in the scan contained MPEG4 files with the
"Apple lossless" codec. It would
appear that mpd will abort instead of skipping over the file. It would be nice
to see support for this format
added, though even if it isn't it would be nice for this file to be ignored and
logged as not being supported
in the log file.

The other issue is that even in verbose mode there is no indication that the
database was written or that not finding
the database is no necessarily a fatal error.

regards

Andre