On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 02:05:46PM -0800, Jeffrey Middleton wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Jonathan Neuschäfer
> <j.neuschae...@gmx.net>wrote:
>
> > With the attached follow-up patch it compiles and works resonably, if I
> > set $EDITOR (starting the right editor is _hard_. Debian has sensible-
> > editor to do most of the tricky stuff, but you can't expect that
> > everywhere).
> >

> It might be nice to look first at a (new) ncmpc config parameter, then
> EDITOR, then fall back to a default. As it is, if EDITOR is unset, a user
> might end up wondering why the edit key doesn't seem to do anything - and I
> think a lot of people don't have EDITOR set. Alternatively a helpful
> message could be printed, if we're worried about a user having no idea even
> how to quit vi(m).

Yes, I agree. A prompt asking whether to start an editor seems to be a
good defalt action. So I propose two options:

editor-ask = yes|no
    Ask before starting an editor on the lyrics screen

editor = EDITOR
    The text editor for editing lyrics

I dropped the lyrics- prefix, because some other screen/command might
some day also want to spawn an editor (but I don't have a strong opinion
on this).

And maybe we should do the fall back mechanism (and reading EDITOR) it
in a script, which would be the default editor.

Thanks,
        Jonathan Neuschäfer

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011