I did git bisect and found out it is caused by one or both of these commits:

commit 1bab735580f83932407b90c722bd021a49c389e8
Author: Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org>
Date: Tue Jan 24 20:02:32 2012 +0100

dirvec: unlock mutex in dirvec_find() in all branches

commit a0fcd0cf22d1eb70afad394d0676635e033ac703
Author: Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org>
Date: Tue Jan 24 18:26:49 2012 +0100

dirvec: don't call g_path_get_basename() on parameter

This overhead is completely useless, because no caller expects this
 behaviour.

These commits are pretty small; I have a feeling if Max eyeballs them,
given my problem description, he'll know what the issue is.