On 2013/01/10 11:06, Denis Krjuchkov <de...@crazydev.net> wrote:
> As I've saw in git MPD is still going to use GLib's mutex/condvar
> implementations for Windows.

Actually, I'd love to use std::mutex et al, but that's not available
on the mingw-w64 version shipped in Debian.  I could try a newer
version, but my goal is to make it buildable with Debian tools.

However the Linux port of MPD doesn't use std::mutex because it (the
GNU libstdc++ implementation) adds overhead.  The lock() method
needlessy checks the return value and throws an exception on error,
even when exceptions are disabled.  Very small overhead, but still
unnecessary.

> May be we could just take pthreads-win32 instead?
>
>    http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/

That would be another dependency, wouldn't it?  Yes, we could do that.

My rationale for removing GLib was to make porting to Android
possible, and therefore GLib will be removed from the normal Linux
build first.  Removing it from Windows is not my goal, but
pthread-win32 sure could help with that.

Another idea I had was use the native WIN32 condition variables, which
requires Windows Vista or newer.  I'm not sure if that's a problem.  I
mean, Windows XP is 13 years old and its support will finally expire
in just a few months.

 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682052.aspx

This will be less overhead than pthreads-win32, because it doesn't
attempt to emulate a foreign API.  (Next problem is that the
prototypes for this API are not available in Debian's mingw-w64
*sigh*)