On 2013/06/25 16:27, jsai...@cs.brown.edu wrote:
> I've been poking around with adding some features to mpd. (In particular,
> allocating the queue dynamically, instead of statically allocating
> O(max_playlist_length) memory.)

Are you sure this is really better?  I mean, seriously?

Dynamic allocation causes heap fragmentation, and may result in more
memory being wasted than the static allocation.

The static allocation *should* only allocate physical memory when the
queue really grows that large; until then, the kernel maps a single
zero page.  (If that's not what's happening currently, it is easy to
optimize.)

> Should I be basing patches on v0.17.x or master?

master.  v0.17.x is only for bug fixes, the branch is frozen.