I'm updating an MPD client that depended on the MPD 0.15 "virtual file"
method for handling whole-album FLAC files and I'm having trouble
figuring out how these are manifested in MPD 0.17.5. I understand that
such albums are now handled as playlists, but it's not obvious how they
appear in the database.

I'm testing with MPD 0.17.5:

$ mpd --version
mpd (MPD: Music Player Daemon) 0.17.5

Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Warren Dukes <warren.du...@gmail.com>
Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org>
warranty; not even MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Decoders plugins:
  [mad] mp3 mp2
  [vorbis] ogg oga
  [oggflac] ogg oga
  [flac] flac
  [dsdiff] dff
  [dsf] dsf
  [ffmpeg] 16sv 3g2 3gp 4xm 8svx aa3 aac ac3 afc aif aifc aiff al alaw
amr anim apc ape asf atrac au aud avi avm2 avs bap bfi c93 cak cin cmv
cpk daud dct divx dts dv dvd dxa eac3 film flac flc fli fll flx flv g726
gsm gxf iss m1v m2v m2t m2ts m4a m4b m4v mad mj2 mjpeg mjpg mka mkv mlp
mm mmf mov mp+ mp1 mp2 mp3 mp4 mpc mpeg mpg mpga mpp mpu mve mvi mxf nc
nsv nut nuv oga ogm ogv ogx oma ogg omg psp pva qcp qt r3d ra ram rl2 rm
rmvb roq rpl rvc shn smk snd sol son spx str swf tgi tgq tgv thp ts tsp
tta xa xvid uv uv2 vb vid vob voc vp6 vmd wav webm wma wmv wsaud wsvga
wv wve
  [pcm]

Output plugins:
  null fifo pipe alsa oss httpd recorder

Encoder plugins:
  null vorbis wave flac

Input plugins:
  file ffmpeg

Playlist plugins:
  extm3u m3u xspf pls asx rss cue cue

Protocols:
  file:// gopher:// rtp:// rtsp:// rtmp:// rtmpt:// rtmps://
$

I have a test FLAC file containing three tracks. The cuesheet is in the
FLAC cuesheet block (not a "CUESHEET" tag):
$ metaflac --export-cuesheet-to=- album_with_cuesheet.flac
FILE "album_with_cuesheet.flac" FLAC
   TRACK 01 AUDIO
     INDEX 01 00:00:00
   TRACK 02 AUDIO
     INDEX 01 00:11:00
   TRACK 03 AUDIO
     INDEX 01 00:33:00
REM FLAC__lead-in 88200
REM FLAC__lead-out 170 2910600
$

The per-track metadata appears in Vorbis comments with the track number
in [] (I thought this used to work but I could be mistaken):
$ metaflac --export-tags-to=- album_with_cuesheet.flac
ALBUM=Album with Embedded Cuesheet
ARTIST=The Artist Name
ARTISTSORT=Artist Name, The
DATE=2013
TITLE[01]=Title of Track 1
TRACKNUMBER[01]=01
TITLE[02]=Title of Track 2
TRACKNUMBER[02]=02
TITLE[03]=Title of Track 3
TRACKNUMBER[03]=03
$

No track information was captured in the database:
$ telnet localhost 6600
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
OK MPD 0.17.0
listallinfo
file: album_with_cuesheet.fla
Last-Modified: 2013-09-01T18:35:53Z
Time: 66
Date: 2013
OK

And no playlist:
load "album_with_cuesheet.flac"
ACK [50@0] {load} No such playlist

So I'd like to understand --
How should the metadata in whole-album FLAC files be stored so that MPD
can find track information?
Does something else need to be compiled into MPD to support embedded
cuesheets?
How can a single track from a whole-album playlist be added to the queue
(with the load command and a range?)

Thanks for your guidance.

  - Bill