On 09/26/2013 07:13 AM, Robert Ferguson wrote:
I've just install v0.17.5 and was getting S16_LE output with version 15 before with my USB DAC. But since upgrading to latest version, it always wants to use the S24_3LE format even though i'm playing 44.1/16bit mp3's?

Those MP3s were created from 16 bit data, but once that data has been transformed to the frequency domain as part of the encoding process, that bit depth ceases to matter. In mpd's case, the MP3s are decoded as 28 bits by libmad, and truncated to 24 bits. This results in theoretically lower distortion than truncating or dithering that output to 16 bits. In your case, by forcing 16 bit output with MP3 you are getting more distortion.

AAC is also capable of 24 bit output (Vorbis too). I've patched mpd's mp4ff plugin for that capability, but current mpd development no longer uses that plugin.

Ian