On 2013/12/18 22:21, hiro <23h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had been using mpd with a S24_3LE soundcard in the past, now I setup
> another system and I would need to use S24_3BE, not LE.
>
> But whatever settings I make I only get static unless I make alsa do
> the conversion job (plughw)
>
> Is this unsupported, undocumented or a bug (in the source I find BE
> mentioned, but in the same function that is also used for LE, not sure
> if the difference is ignored or not).

It should just work, but I'm unable to test because I don't have any
S24_3 capable hardware.

When you play back 24 bit audio, and ALSA refuses to configure padded
24 bit, MPD will try to use the packed format (S24_3).  First, it will
try host byte order, and then "reverse" byte order.

Write a bug report, and paste all relevant data (config, mpd
--version, verbose log, /proc/asound/... etc.)