On 2014/01/06 05:40, Lukas Stabe <lu...@stabe.de> wrote:
> My suggestion is to add an additional list of tracks to be played next. For
> lack of a better name
> i?ll call it the ?queue? (although it is not a queue in the strict sense,
> items could be reordered etc).
>
> When mpd finishes playing a song and the number of tracks in the queue is not
> zero, it plays the
> first song in the queue and removes it from the queue. When there are no
> tracks left in the queue,
> mpd resumes playing the playlist where it left of.

This has been suggested over and over for many years before we had the
"priority" system.

But what you describe exists already in MPD: call it "queue" or
"playlist", MPD has it already, and it is what decides what wil be
played next, just as you described.

What you did not describe is why your idea is superior or even
necessary.  So far, I cannot see anything that would be possible with
your system that is not already possible now.  OK, queue longer than
255 - 255 was an arbitrary limit, and nobody has ever requested to
enlarge it in the whole time this feature existed.

On the other hand, your idea requires massive protocol extensions.
All commands that handle the "old-style queue" will need counterparts
to manipulate and query the "new-style queue".  All clients need
special support for this, and until they have, they would not be able
to see the "new-style queue".  And there are more interesting
compatibility problems: when MPD plays a song from the "new-style
queue", what song id will the "status" command print?

Most client projects are not well-maintained (unfortunately), and
requiring all clients to be modified is just not a good idea.  That
involve a lot of pain among users.  A solution that does not involve
incomaptible protocol changes is favorable.  And that was what I
implemented.

Admittedly, the priority feature may appear "bolted on", and it is,
but there is nothing particularly wrong with it.  It is a simple
concept that solved the problem without any incompatible protocol
changes.  It just gave clients more control over the way MPD chooses
the next song, and nothing more.