Steven,  I dont know if this is any help to you but heres a link to a website
with c++ code that explains audio passthru..
One of the statements in the code example says this
If SND_PCM_NONBLOCK is used, read / write access to the    */
    /* PCM device will return immediately. If SND_PCM_ASYNC is    */
    /* specified, SIGIO will be emitted whenever a period has     */
    /* been completely processed by the soundcard.

heres link, to get code click on getting exersize materials at top.
http://www.elinux.org/EBC_Exercise_17_Using_ALSA_for_Audio_Processing

Jay

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:05 AM, Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org> wrote:

On 2014/01/07 13:59, Steven OBrien <steven_obri...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Since my last update, I've been thinking that the alsa poll is
> really just a timer, it fires every time a fixed number of frames
> have been written to its internal buffer, and as a real-time stream
> this equates to a fixed number of milli-seconds. So the MPD code
> would be much simpler if we could just use a TimeoutMonitor to
> produce the wake-up instead of trying to integrate with the alsa lib
> here.

No, bad idea, because you never know when exactly the data will be
available.  What if you wake up too early?  Or too late?

The only way to do it properly is let the audio device do the timing,
and follow that.  The audio device is the authority here.  Guessing
when it will deliver is error prone.