In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the All-Compassionate

"May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon You"
 Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with
Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah
guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one
can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness
that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah
As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

How should we observe Laylat al-Qadr
and when is it?

How should we observe Laylat al-Qadr?
Is it by praying, or by reading Qur’aan and the Prophet’s Seerah, listening to
lectures and lessons and by celebrating it in the mosque?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to
strive hard in worship during the last ten days of Ramadaan as he never did at
any other time, praying, reading Quraan and making duaa. Al-Bukhaari and Muslim
narrated from Aaishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that when the last ten
days of Ramadaan came, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
would stay up at night and would wake his family up, and would abstain from
marital relations. Ahmad and Muslim narrated that he used to used to strive
hard in worship during the last ten days of Ramadaan as he never did at any
other time.

Secondly:
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined staying up and
praying on Laylat al-Qadr out of faith and in the hope of reward. It was
narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever stays up and prays
on Laylat al-Qadr out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins
will be forgiven.” Agreed upon. This hadeeth indicates that it is prescribed to
observe Laylat al-Qadr by spending the night in prayer.

Thirdly:
One of the best duaas that may be recited on Laylat al-Qadr is that which the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught to Aaishah (may
Allaah be pleased with her). Al-Tirmidhi narrated, and classed the report as
saheeh, that Aaishah said: “I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, if I know which
night is Laylat al-Qadr, what should I say on that night?’
He said, ‘Say: Allaahumma innaka ‘afuwwun tuhibb al-‘afwa fa’affu ‘anni (O
Allaah, You are forgiving and You love forgiveness, so forgive me).”

Fourthly:
With regard to specifying which night of Ramadaan is Laylat al-Qadr, this needs
specific evidence, but the odd-numbered nights during the last ten nights are
more likely than others, and the night of the twenty-seventh is the most likely
to be Laylat al-Qadr, because that is mentioned in the ahaadeeth.

Fifthly:
With regard to innovations, they are not permissible during Ramadaan or at
other times. It was proven that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of
Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours
that is not part of it will have it rejected.” According to another report,
“Whoever does any action that is not part of this matter of ours will have it
rejected.”

We know of no basis for the celebrations that are held during some nights of
Ramadaan. The best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings
of Allaah be upon him) and the worst of matters are those which are innovated
(bidah).

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon
our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas , 10/413

 Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to
post on Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in
not-for-profit publications.
  If you are receiving this email as a forwarded message, Join Now

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: