Some of these old lilypond files where the fingering is done by markup are
a real challenge to read. I have had luck with \set restrainOpenStrings =
##t and a liberal amount of \once\set minimumFret=4. To attain a goal of an
uncluttered Staff you may need to occasionally hide the string
numbering (\override
StringNumber #'transparent = ##t followed eventually by a \revert
StringNumber #'transparent).

Take a look at my recent Aguado
addition<http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=1833>;
I followed Aguado's fingerings and for such a short piece it was
challenging to get the fingering and tabs to both look correct.

Felix, I believe the harmonic notation is correct --- the diamond head at
the sounding note and the parenthetic fret number on the touched string.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong. And, yeah, the G in measure 11 goes on
string 2 unless he is the human rubberband ;-)