Hey,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:10:00PM -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:28:48AM -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 10:44:07PM +0100, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> > If neither of the first two are possible, I think this is reasonable
> > compromise.  We have a --disable-doc function, so a problem building
> > makedoc can be worked around.  I'd appreciate others input on the issue
> > though.
>
> After getting through the compress stuff,

Thanks for that, btw!

> I've started taking a closer
> look at this.  The first thing I discovered is that AC_PROG_CC_FOR_BUILD
> is not a part of autoconf.  It's in an archive, and doesn't seem to be
> well supported across different versions.  So, I'm not sure I want to
> add that in as a dependency to our build process.  Please correct me if
> I'm wrong though.

No, you are spot on and I think this is the reason why helmut originally
said that his patch is not optimal for upstream inclusion.

> I think a better direction would be moving away from building our own
> compile-time tools.

Not having arch-specific build-time tools would also solve the issue,
yeah.

> For md5, we can use a built-in, or even just use perl's Digest::MD5.

built-in like coreutils' md5sum? would prefer that over perl, tbh :)

> I'll take a look at what would be involved in converting makedoc to perl
> too, but I want to work on getting dgc's patches in first.

Yeah, no worries. I don't think there is any hurry here. Just a bit of
aid for ppl who want to bootstrap new archs and use mutt there (who
wouln't?).

Shall we create a track ticket to track this effort?

Regards
Evgeni