On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 03:29:50PM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
Another choice would be to point $autocrypt_dir at ~/.gnupg (you can copy the autocrypt.db file over to save yourself having to recreate accounts). However, this will then cause Autocrypt header keys to be imported into ~/.gnupg. If that's okay with you, this will give you Web of Trust signature messages instead.

After thinking it over for a few days, I've updated the manual to recommend pointing $autocrypt_dir to ~/.gnupg if you want to use your existing key. I recommend you do so too if you still want to share the same key.

I could reverse the order, but this would then just lead to the reverse problem: missing key signature verification errors for Autocrypt messages. So in the end, I think copying the key over is a bad strategy and recommend against it in the manual.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy