On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:58:04AM +0200, Vincent wrote in <20200422225804.ga1081...@zira.vinc17.org>:
> BTW: I use --enable-exact-address as otherwise mutt shows addresses
> in a "nice" format that doesn't match reality and caused me grief
> several times when I copied those addresses into a filter ... and
> nothing was filtered...

I don't use --enable-exact-address, but I don't see how this can
be related here. The manual says:

  Mutt supports the "Name <user@host>" address syntax for reading and
  writing messages, the older "user@host (Name)" syntax is only
  supported when reading messages. The --enable-exact-address switch can
  be given to configure to build it with write-support for the latter
  syntax. EXACT_ADDRESS in the output of mutt -v indicates whether it's
  supported.

but your example does not use this old syntax.

I have tried to reproduce this issue with and without --enable-exact-address, and unless I did something wrong (very well possible), I observed the issue with both set ups.
It encoded the To: header to iso8859 for me, including the email address.