> well, I have in mind at least three (Unix, the BSDs and groff).

My system uses mandoc. It's used as the default formatter for man
pages in BSDs these days. Mandoc's linter complains about setting
fonts (expanded from .NS macro):

mandoc: xterm.man:221:2: WARNING: unknown font, skipping request: ft C

The key thing here is that you're using "ft R" in the end, and the
code in question is using "\fP" which was randomly setting the font to
something else since "\fC" was getting ignored.