I agree. The default should be 0600. But users should be able to change it.

sacham...@s0c4.net:
Please don't take me wrong - I fully agree on default of 0600 for all created files (undoubtely mboxes). Yet even in my simple scenario (mutt got its own user profile) I need to be able to process stored attachments by other users (separate user for libreoffice, separate user for image viewer,...). Manually calling chmod *each and every time* is even more security-error-prone than being able to set umask once for time being.

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.