On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 11:35:11AM -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 02:19:26PM +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 11:24:13PM -0800, Matthew Sotoudeh via Mutt-dev
> > wrote:
> > > +  ** Causes Mutt to timeout any socket read operation (e.g. SSL_read)
> > > after
> > > +  ** this many seconds.  A zero (default) or negative value causes Mutt
> > > to wait
> > > +  ** indefinitely for the read to complete.
> > >
> > have you checked how this plays along with imap IDLE?
>
> Thanks Oswald.  I'll take a closer look before committing, but I don't think
> it should have a particular effect, at least for Mutt's implementation.
> Mutt sends IDLE, polls the socket for up to $imap_poll_timeout, and then
> reads looking for the "+" response.

It's possible I'm not exercising all corner cases here, but to add some
empirical data: just tried running this patch with imap_idle and a
relatively small receive_timeout for a bit, and didn't notice any
difference in behavior.

Even with receive_timeout=0, imap_idle=yes, my Mutt config only seems to
(intentionally) do long-blocking reads on stdin/waiting for user input.
imap_check_mailbox sets up the idle with the server and returns quickly
after that, with or without receive_timeout.

Thanks for all the feedback,
Matthew